Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Nihonjin

Ohayooooooo,
 
Wow, this week has been absolutely insanely crazy. To put it in a nutshell, after the earthquake and everything last week we thought everything was settling down a bit but we were definitely wrong. There are countless rumors flying around within our branch about what is happening in Japan and what will happen to us as a result. From what we know, they have evacuated Tokyo and Sendai, so all of those missionaries are now spread out within the other missions. As a result, they sent about 45 missionaries home early who were supposed to be returning home in April and May. So with that, a lot of us are wondering if we'll be able to leave for Japan in three weeks like we're supposed to. I've been told by a missionary currently serving in Japan that we won't be going until after May. If that's true, we will either be kept in the MTC longer, or we might be temporarily reassigned state-side or something. Like I said, this week has been crazy. There's a lot of uncertainty, but we're still learning, still studying the language and hoping for the best. Personally, I love Japan and can't wait to go, but I'm not too upset at the prospect of being reassigned state-side for a little while. A mission is a mission, and I'll serve wherever the Lord needs me. Maybe there is a Japanese person waiting for me somewhere else who needs to hear the gospel! Please continue to pray for the people in Japan, and also for the missionaries that we can continue to be focused on our purpose and not let all of this craziness distract us from learning how to teach the gospel.
 
Another taihen(unfortunate) event this week is that one of the Elders in my district, Ray choro(he's the one from Canada and probably the most awesome Elder ever) found out that he won't be going to Japan at all due to medical problems. The doctor said he has some form of collitis(??) and will need to be treated for 2 years or something. He has a really great attitude about it, though, so he's helping us all stay positive. Another one of our Elders this week came down with the flu and had to be put into "quarantine," which basically means you're banished to live in the senior missionaries dorm for a few days. We all thought it was pretty funny, until they told us all of us had to start taking pills in case we caught the flu as well. So now my whole district everyday takes our pills (rumor has it that each set of 10 pills costs the church $200!). So that was also exciting this week.
 
I performed for the senior missionaries orentation yesterday, "Abide with me tis Eventide" !!!!! It was so much fun. I'm so glad I got the chance to perform at the MTC. We also got all of our new Japanese missionaries in last night. Two of the sisters are going to Fukuoka with me!!!!! I gave Tsutamori shimai her tour yesterday and she doesn't speak one word of English so i was really excited to practice speaking Japanese. She's from Hokkaido and her last name means "ivy grove," which I thought was pretty cool. She's adorable and I hope someday we're companions in Fukuoka!
 
This week my favorite scripture has been D&C 121. I love verses 7 and 8, but later in the chapter it talks a lot about being a leader and how to discipline, which I think is super interesting. We have been talking a lot about humility this week, which is pretty fitting considering our circumstances. The missionaries in my branch right now need to be really humble and just accept whatever happens concerning going to Japan. We need to remember that we're on a mission for the Lord, and wherever he calls us is where we need to go. Being humble is truly submitting to the Lord and accepting that he knows what is better for us than we do. As long as we're being obedient, we don't need to worry about anything. The lord will lead us on the right path.
 
I love you all!! Send me dearelders!!
 
tingey shimai!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment